This year the Fastest Informix DBA Contest will be held over the web so anyone, anywhere in the world can participate from July 1 to 31, 2013. Contest details and challenge will be posted June 1, 2013. The challenge will be a combination of OLTP and batch. The winner will be the DBA who can get the most transactions per minute in an OLTP benchmark and at the same time run a batch billing job and generate the most bills in a 10 minute run.
Watch here for for details on June 1, 2013.
This year we will be combining the OLTP Benchmark from last year’s contest with a new batch billing process.
- The OLTP Benchmark uses the Open Source BenchmarkSQL Java program to generate 1,000 sessions doing inserts, updates, and deletes against an Informix database. The Open Source BenchmarkSQL is a JDBC benchmark that closely resembles the TPC-C standard for OLTP. The goal is to get the most transactions per minute in a 10-minute period.
- The Batch Billing process will be an SQL script to generate bills. The goal is to get the most bills inserted into a table in a 10-minute period.
Can you take an Informix server running 1,000 OLTP users, and simultaneously running a batch job, and tune it?
Grand Prize - Apple iPad for the Fastest User DBA who gets the best OLTP and batch combination in a 10 minute run. To qualify for the grand prize you must be:
- An Informix DBA
- Not an IBM or Advanced DataTools employee
- Employed by a company using Informix internally
Honorary Prizes - Open to ANYONE
- Fastest DBA who made the fewest changes
- Fastest Professional Consultant DBA
- Fastest IBM Developer (IBM employee)
- Fastest Senior DBA (over 50)
- Fastest Mid-Aged DBA (30-50)
- Fastest Youngest DBA (under 30)
- Fastest Newest DBA (shortest experience with Informix)
- Fastest Old-timer (longest experience with Informix)
For more information on past Fastest Informix DBA Contests: